5/8/13

Egils saga, part 7.

31

Skalla-Grímur and Bera pop out a lot of babies but they all die. Then they get one that doesn't die and that one's called Þórólfur, just like his brother. This may be ominous.

Anyway Þórólfur turns out to be a real pretty boy just like Þórólfur. There's two daughters Sæunn and Þórunn too.

Then they get another son but this one's ugly. His name's Egill. Yes it's chapter 31 and finally the hero of the saga has been born.

Anyway this Egill is the size of a seven year old at age three.

Egill: "Dad I want to go to Yngvar's party!"

Skalla-Grímur: "You get into fights when you're sober, no way you're gonna go somewhere where people are drinking."

So Egill steals a horse, goes to the party and composes complicated Old Norse poetry like, you know, any three year old Icelandic child tends to do.



32

There's a guy called Björn who gets all swoony over a Þóra. Her brother says no to his proposal though.

Björn: "Looks like I'll have to kidnap me a wife, oh dear."

Brynjólfur (his father): "What."

Þórir (her brother): "My sister back please."

Brynjólfur: "Sure."

Björn: "HOW ABOUT NO. I'm going away from Norway instead, gimme a ship."

Björn: "I'm also going to kidnap her again."

33

Björn's in Shetland now but alas Haraldur's sent a note there that he should be killed. So he quickly marries Þóra and goes to Iceland instead.

Yes it's considered a historical fact that Iceland can thank most of its founding on one dramatic king's temper tantrums.

Skalla-Grímur: "Oh yeah I know your dad, Björn! We're good friends! Who's the fancy lady btw?"

Björn: "Oh, she's my wife, her dad's name is Hróaldur and her brother's that Þórir guy.""

Skalla-Grímur: "Oh Þórir, I know him he's my foster-brother! You two should live here at my house."

(DUN DUN DUUUUUNNNNN)

34

Norwegian tourists: "Hay Skalla-Grímur did you know that Björn actually kidnapped that Þóra?"

Skalla-Grímur: "FFFFFFFFFFF. BJÖRN WHY'D YOU NOT TELL ME THIS?"

Björn: "Well you never asked if I had kidnapped her instead, so..:"

Þórólfur: "Ok dad calm down no berserking, shhhhhhhh..."

35

Þóra has a baby Ásgerður. She might be important for this story.

Þórólfur gets diplomatic and manages to team up with not only his own dad but Björn's dad as well, and the end result is that Þórir accepts their money and Björn can finally return to Norway.

Bera: "But leave the baby for me to foster pls."

Björn: "Oh, Ásgerður? Sure!"

Then he goes back to Norway and there's a group hug with everyone involved.



Part 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment